Financial Support

Worries over money and finance shouldn’t stop you from coming to College or University. We want to give you the freedom to create your own story so we have a number of bursaries and packages available.

We understand that everyone is different. We have options available to help support those students that may find it more difficult to cover the costs of participating in education.

Below you will find a range of bursaries, packages and loans that we have available. Applications are encouraged as soon as possible, as funds are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.

If you need help or advice, please get in touch with our Student Services Finance team, call 0151 353 4444 or email

Financial Assistance

Travel Pass or Payments

If you live more than 1 mile away from College (walking distance), and your household income (the amount you or your parents/guardians earn each year) is less than £35,000, we can offer a travel pass for 16-18 year olds. If do not live on a train or bus route, you may be able to receive a contribution towards travel costs.

Free School Meals

We extend free meals (FSM) to those who received them at school with our Further Education Free Meals (FEFM) programme. You’ll need to be between 16 and 18 years old, and either you or your parents should be claiming one or more benefits, like Universal Credit. Even if you don’t meet the benefits criteria, you can still apply.

Subsidised Meals

We can provide money towards the cost of one meal per day at our on-site eating outlets, during the time you are at College with us. You can use it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. You can also apply if you study part-time, though the amount of funds you receive will be based on your time spent in College.

Free Breakfast

Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day, so we make sure every single student can enjoy a free one – every day! Arrive at College before your classes start and head over to one of our eating outlets. It’ll help you get focused and start your day perfectly.


If you’re a parent but want to come to College to learn, you shouldn’t let the thought of childcare put you off. For anyone aged 20 or over, we’ll cover the full costs of childcare for you, up to £180 a week. If you’re under 20, there’s financial help available through the Care to Learn scheme.

Additional Support Fund

Please note: this fund is for Higher Education students only.

Occasionally you might be really struggling with money, and our other schemes may not be able to help. You can submit an appeal to the Head of Student Services, who’ll review your situation and may be able to offer up to £150 to help you out when you really need it.

College Bursaries

Aged 16 - 18 Bursary Package

Our 16-18 Bursary Package helps with travel to and from College and meals. You may also be eligible for a 'Vulnerable Bursary' worth £1,200. This is for those who claim certain types of income or disability support, or for those who are in care or are care leavers.

Apply online
Helpsheet - how to apply

Aged 19+ LSF Package

Our 19+ LSF (Learner Support Fund) Package is for those aged 19+ and can help with childcare and travel. We assess everyone individually, so we can get the maximum amount of funding to you. If you claim any kind of means-tested benefit, you’re eligible to apply.

Apply online

Helpsheet - how to apply

Advanced Learner Loan

Advanced Learner Loans are for those aged over 19 who want to study a Level 3 or higher course. They help with course tuition fees. They’re not dependent on your income and you don’t need to pay the loan back until you are in employment.

For more information, visit:

Advanced Learning Bursary

Advanced Learning Bursaries are for those aged 19+ who may be encountering financial barriers to education and who have an Advanced Learner Loan in place. They can help cover the cost of transport and childcare whilst attending College. They are funded by the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA).

Apply online
Helpsheet - how to apply

Discretionary Award

Discretionary Awards offer financial assistance to students who are in employment but are encountering financial difficulties when participating in education. They can assist with the cost of tuition and examination fees. The award is funded by the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA).

Apply online

Helpsheet - how to apply

University Financial Support

Tuition Fee Loans

You don’t need to pay for your tuition fees up front - Tuition Fee Loans cover university or college tuition fees and are paid direct to the university or college, by Student Finance England. They are available to all eligible students regardless of household income. The amount you pay back is dependent on how much you earn.

For more information, visit

For more help and advice about Tuition Fee Loans, visit the UCAS Student Finance website.

Maintenance Loans

When you’re studying at our University Centre, you might find you need extra help with money for day-to-day living costs, accommodation, food or course materials. Maintenance loans are usually paid in three instalments, directly into your bank account. (For full time students only).

For up to date information, visit

For information about how and when to apply, tap here.

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs)

These allowances provide extra financial help for disabled students. They are paid on top of standard student finance packages and are not dependent on income, nor do they have to be repaid. You may get DSAs if you have a disability, ongoing health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia.

For more information, visit

Moving On Scholarship

To support students who may not otherwise progress to a Full Honours degree, we will allocate a limited number of awards for 2nd year students from our Foundation Degree programmes who have been accepted for a full time Top-up year at the Hugh Baird University Centre.

Further information will be provided at enrolment for eligible students.

EU Student Finance

If you’re not normally resident in the UK, or are an EU national or non-UK national, please be aware that student finance has changed since Brexit. If you already have settled status or leave to remain the changes may affect your loan application, or you may need to provide extra evidence.

Read guidance for EU students here.