Early Years / Childcare Apprenticeships

Employing an apprentice can be an effective way to bring new skills to your early years setting and grow your workforce.

Our Early Years apprenticeships ensure your staff are trained to provide outstanding childcare, combining traditional learning with hands-on experience in the field.

Make an enquiry

Apprenticeships we offer:

Early Years Practitioner - Level 2

This apprenticeship is perfect for individuals working in a beginner position or who are just starting their journey in childcare.

Download the factsheet

Early Years Educator - Level 3

This apprenticeship is for those who would like to further their career and move into a senior role within the childcare sector.

Download the factsheet

Free Paediatric First Aid Course

To elevate your team's capabilities and ensure they're fully equipped to care for children, as part of our Early Years Educator - Level 3 apprenticeship, your employees will also gain a Level 3 Award in Paediatric First Aid.

This training, at no extra cost to your organisation, will enrich their skillset, increase their competence in the childcare sector, and crucially, ensure the safety of children under their care.

Want to find out more?

The benefits of hiring an apprentice

The benefits to your business of starting an apprenticeship can be huge. Here are just a handful:

Keep or develop your competitive advantage

Increase productivity and efficiency

Enhance employee satisfaction and retention

Attract new employees and reduce recruitment costs

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. The Business Development Team at Hugh Baird College is dedicated to helping you recruit the apprentice you need. We will advertise your vacancy free of charge on the National Apprenticeship Service website and also to all students at Hugh Baird College, on our website and across our social media platforms. Our access to a list of full time College students means that many candidates will already have achieved some relevant qualifications.
  2. Once we receive applications, we will shortlist candidates who meet your requirements and arrange interviews for you to make your selection as easy as possible.
  3. The Business Development Team will also make all necessary arrangements for the delivery of the qualification.
  4. Once you have selected your apprentice, an assessor will be assigned. The assessor will also support and guide you and the apprentice and ensure you are both meeting national quality standards that are integrated into the programme.

You can get money to go towards the cost of training and assessment. The amount you get depends on whether you pay the government apprenticeship levy or not. Find out if you need to pay the apprenticeship levy.

If you do not pay the apprenticeship levy, you'll pay 5% (usually no more than £300) towards the cost of training and assessing your apprentice. The government will pay the rest (95%) up to the funding band maximum. You could get extra funding depending on both your and your apprentice’s circumstances. Check the funding rules to see if you’re eligible.

If you pay the apprenticeship levy, you’ll get funds to spend on training and assessing your apprentices. The government will add 10%.

In some cases, employers can access a grant of up to £1,000 to help with the cost of an apprentice in the first year of employment. At the Hugh Baird Business Development Centre, we can help you access this grant.

You will be assigned a member of our Business Development team who will support and guide you throughout the whole process and will be your point of contact for all your needs.

Want to find out more?