Apprenticeships are very popular programmes designed by employers that provide paid work-experience, training and qualifications to people aged 16 and above.
An Apprenticeship framework comprises:
- A work-based qualification (QCF), assessed in the workplace, demonstrating practical skills linked to the job
- A technical certificate, achieved at College, showing the theoretical knowledge relevant to the job and other qualifications valued by employers such as:
- Functional skills, which show competency in English, maths or I.C.T applied to the workplace
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities (ERR)
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills (PLTS); they include creative thinking, independent enquiry, reflective learner, effective participator, self management and team working.
The level 2 Light Vehicle Automotive Maintenance and Repair QCF (vocational element) qualification consists of 15 mandatory units and either 1 or 2 optional units.
In the workplace, candidates must complete a work-related qualification based the following units:
- Health, safety and good housekeeping in the automotive environment
- Support for job roles in the automotive work environment
- Materials, fabrication, tools and measuring devices in the automotive environment
- Routine light vehicle maintenance
- Light vehicle engine mechanical, lubrication and cooling system units and components
- Light vehicle electrical units and components
- Light vehicle chassis units and components
- Knowledge of inspecting light vehicles using prescribed methods
- Diagnosis and rectification of light vehicle engine faults
- Light vehicle transmission and driveline units and components
- Light vehicle fuel, ignition, air and exhaust system units and components
What does an apprenticeship involve?
- A commitment from you, to meet deadlines and a commitment from your employer, to support your development and learning.
- Regular meetings with your assessor and tutors who will guide you through the qualification and advise/guide you on developing your skills/ competence in the workplace.