What will I study?
This qualification is aimed at any working chef who would like to develop their skills and advance their career in catering to Senior Chef or Restaurant Manager. The training also aims to provide the skills and knowledge needed to supervise the work of staff.
Units available to learners include:
- Food safety and catering
- Health and Safety
- Food hygiene
- Healthier foods and special diets
- Kitchen operations and costs
- Develop positive working relationships
- Supervise events and functions
- Produce fermented dough and batter dishes
- Advance skills and techniques in preparing and cooking complex poultry, meat, fish and shell fish dishes
- Contribute to the development of recipes and menu planning
- Prepare and cook complex hot and cold desserts
- Produce biscuits, cakes and sponges
- Prepare and cook complex sauces and vegetable dishes
An assessor will work with the apprentice on a one-to-one basis and/or group basis. Apprentices will be visited each month at work and will also be able to contact the assessor between visits.
The Apprenticeship framework is made up of several parts:
- NVQ Diploma in Professional Cookery Level 3
- Key Skills in Application of Number and Communication at Level 2
- Tech Cert - Certificate in Hospitality and Catering Principles Level 3
- Employers’ Rights and Responsibilities Workbook (ERR)
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills (PLTS)