What will I study?
This qualification aims to provide the skills and knowledge needed to maintain health and safety, prepare and cook poultry, meat, and fish dishes, prepare and cook pasta, sauces, hot and cold desserts. Learners must achieve 68 credits, all of which are achieved by completing 14 mandatory units.
- Introduction to the catering and hospitality industry
- Food safety and catering
- Health and Safety
- Healthier foods and special diets
- Kitchen operations, costs and menu planning
- Applying workplace skills
- Prepare and cook stocks, soups and sauces
- Prepare and cook fruit and vegetables
- Prepare and cook meat and offal
- Prepare and cook poultry
- Prepare and cook fish and shellfish
- Cook rice, pasta, grains and egg dishes
- Prepare and cook desserts and puddings
- Prepare and cook bakery products
An assessor will work with the apprentice on a one-to-one basis and/or group basis. Apprentices will be visited each month at work and will also be able to contact the assessor between visits.
The Apprenticeship framework is made up of several parts:
- NVQ Diploma in Professional Cookery Level 2
- Key Skills in Application of Number and Communication at Level 1
- Tech Cert - Certificate in Hospitality and Catering Principles Level 2
- Employers’ Rights and Responsibilities Workbook (ERR)
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills (PLTS)