Apprenticeships are very popular programmes designed by employers that provide paid work-experience, training and qualifications to people aged 16 and above.
An Apprenticeship framework comprises:
- A work-based qualification NVQ National Vocational Qualification), assessed in the workplace, demonstrating practical skills linked to the job
- Functional skills, which show competency in English and maths applied to the workplace
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities (ERR)
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills (PLTS); they include creative thinking, independent enquiry, reflective learner, effective participator, self management and team working.
- Unit G20 Make sure your own actions reduce risks to health and safety
- Unit G17 Give clients a positive impression of yourself and your organisation
- Unit G7 Advise and consult with clients
- Unit GH8 Shampoo, condition and treat the hair and scalp
- Unit GH9 Change hair colour
- Unit GH10 Style and finish hair
- Unit GH11 Set and dress hair
- Unit GH12 Cut hair using basic techniques
- Unit G4 Fulfil salon reception duties
- Unit G18 Promote additional services or products to clients
- Unit G8 Develop and maintain your effectiveness at work
- Unit GH13 Plait and twist hair
- Unit GH14 Perm and neutralise hair
- Unit GH15 Attach hair to enhance a style
In the workplace, candidates must complete a work-related qualification based the following units. The NVQ consists of a credit value. A total of 54 credits must be achieved to complete this award.
Mandatory units- 48 credits
Optional units – min 6 must be achieved